Sunday, September 24, 2017

UWC Day!

UWC Day was held on the 21st of September 2017, coinciding with International Day of Peace. This celebration is meant to mark a day in all of the 17 schools that make up the UWC movement, and encourage a celebration and reflection on the unique situations that we all find ourselves in. The theme this year was “celebrating the power of diversity”.

At Pearson, it was a decidedly low-key celebration. We had classes as normal, though apparently last year there were no classes and many people did workshops, games, art, etc. But this year we had a few events after classes; including a football game & choir performance to bring together people from different backgrounds in order to appreciate time spent with each other, and we had a workshop on linguistic inclusion at Pearson.

The workshop was facilitated by Kim, the English B teacher and one of the Victoria houseparents. The first part involved everyone in attendance filing out an anonymous survey about ourselves, with questions on gender, socio-economic background, sexuality, race, discrimination, neuro-status, and other factors of ourselves. The surveys were collected and redistributed randomly and then one by one the options of the survey were read out and anyone who had a survey with the option was asked to stand. It was a fascinating endeavour, especially as it really opened my eyes to how in some cases we’re very diverse (race, socio-economic background, sexuality, mental health past), but how in other ways we are not diverse (disabilities, belief in the UWC mission). It just gave me a good reminder on the realities of being in this place, and provided me with lots of food for thought.

After the survey exercise, we moved onto linguistic inclusion exercises, including drawing language circles for everyone, where people drew circles based on their comfort in a given language. Then we taught our languages to each other, and my housemate Foday taught me some Creole from Sierra Leone which was a great exercise, and now I’m learning more Creole! We also had discussions on how we can become more inclusive of linguistic backgrounds, the use of English as a major language around the world (why? how?), and we even practiced a new common language of our own “Muglish”, which eliminated words and relied on expressions and shared signs. 

During dinner, which was probably the closest I’ll ever get to Chinese food in the caf (it was dumplings!), I laughed so so much and was just so filled with joy. It was my second year’s birthday, and Yousra came down to the cafeteria in her sunglasses and spent the entire meal indoors with sunglasses that genuinely made her look like a Bollywood star and I had dared her to do it at lunch and was so surprised that she had even remembered! I was also overjoyed to be surrounded by such fun, smiling people. I witnessed Bei-Yi take such a large slice of the delicious cake that it more than filled her plate, and Dina and I tried to start a announcement but no one joined in so we were just banging randomly on the table and I laughed so hard I fell!

After dinner, there was a student-led discussion on diversity in the Max Bell, and I was really grateful to have been a part of such wide ranging and honest discussion. It saddened me a little to later look at other groups who’re meant to be discussing but were all just on their phones. It resolves me to spend more and more time off of my phone. I am here to experience this world through my eyes, not through a screen. 

UWC Day at Pearson might not have been as intense as at some of other other schools, but I believe that it was a day that was entirely up to the student body, and next year I’d like to organise a few more activities. But also I believe that everyday at Pearson is a UWC day, So many times in a regular week (is any week ever really regular at Pearson?), do I feel that “this is such a UWC moment”. For that, I am grateful to be in an institution that so deeply embodies these values. Happy UWC Day to all.

Love,

Theo

No comments:

Post a Comment

update!

Hey! writing this from the observatory: the wind is picking up and my fingers are starting to swell slightly, so this may be briefer than ...