Monday, August 7, 2017

3 Weeks

There's just three weeks till I arrive on campus at Pearson, and I am pinching myself.

Pinching to check if my mind is playing tricks on me - has summer really almost come to an end? Has it really been 2 months since I left my friends? Am I really about to leave home and only come back one year later? These questions lie unresolved in my mind, percolating and demanding attention. But, I can't bring myself to think about them as I know that there is innate sadness to be uncovered. The truth is; time has passed, uncontrollably quickly. Another truth is that the time has been meaningful, I have been working shifts at a restaurant, learning some skills some of which may still not be fully obvious to me yet. I have seen my lovely friends from school in Singapore, other friends from ISAK have come to visit me in Singapore, my family has spent more time together than ever, and we are always meeting more old family friends. I've also been lucky enough to travel solo (as a result of working) and seen more friends. 

Getting to understand their cultures and way of life from a first hand perspective has been fascinating, and I am so grateful to those who have welcomed me graciously into their homes, and taken me around their corners of the world. It's been really wonderful to see the stories of home I'd only heard secondhand unfold in front of me, and I wish to continue to do this as long as it is possible! As my great roommate Yutaro said (or was it Kitsho?, I'm so sorry if this is misquoted) "the world seems smaller". Indeed it does, and I'm very excited to continue to feel that way when I go to Pearson. 

And now that my visa's been approved after a bit of a contentious period with reapplications and frantic emails & calls to the Canadian High Commission in Singapore, I'm all but set to leave! I've just now got to pack - and I am not looking forward to this task. There's the question of what to bring, and more difficultly what to leave behind? I just hope I can fit everything into two or less bags, without forgetting anything important. 

My flight is set to leave Singapore on July 28, and I have layovers in Japan & Seattle before landing in Victoria. My uncle is to meet me in Seattle, and Robert Janes, who used to go to Pearson with my mama is to see me in Victoria where I'll stay with him for a day or two before going to Pearson on the 30th! In the short time remaining, I'll pack, do some administrative tasks, talk to my family and friends (I'd especially want to hear more from my mother about her time at Pearson), and try to cherish my last weeks in Singapore, which I've grown and learnt to truly love this summer. I can't believe I'm leaving so soon! The beginning of a two year journey is about to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

update!

Hey! writing this from the observatory: the wind is picking up and my fingers are starting to swell slightly, so this may be briefer than ...