Monday, September 4, 2017

8000m

As I write this, I am about 8000m above sea level, in between Seattle & Victoria. It’s been a pretty harrowing flight experience, but I was lucky enough to have my uncle pick me up on my five hour layover in Seattle and drive me to Angle Lake Park, where we sat under the trees and talked whilst eating Chicken Shawerma -“the best in Seattle”-, and deliciously ripe nectarines - “the fruit of the summer”. 
I’m at once nervous and excited about going to the college in two days. I cannot wait to be back in a small, tight-knit community, and am looking forward to living closely with people again. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared of the IB, the work that lies ahead does frighten me! I can only hope that I’ve chosen subjects that I genuinely enjoy learning about, so the effort put in doesn’t feel like a chore. 

I’m nervous about making friends all over again - and conscious about first impressions and what not. I normally feel quite scrutinised in these situations, but I also don’t want to be a idealised version of myself just for the sake of first impressions. My sister Anya told me to carefully peel back layers of myself, and this sounds like a good idea because then I’m not trying to necessarily disguise myself as anything, but just being aware that there’s no shame in opening yourself up slowly in a new environment, to a lot of new people. 


The landing announcements are being made now - hopefully my study permit on arrival works out. I’m staying with my mama’s old Pearson friend, Robert Janes, in Victoria. Will update as soon as possible! Goodbye for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

update!

Hey! writing this from the observatory: the wind is picking up and my fingers are starting to swell slightly, so this may be briefer than ...